Press Release 6 July 2017: FMO and FinnFund exit the controversial Agua Zarca project
Both ENDS and SOMO welcome the announcement done today by the Dutch and Finnish development banks, FMO and FinnFund, to exit the controversial Agua Zarca hydroelectric project in Honduras. Conflict about the project has led to violence in the region, including the murder of three leaders who opposed the project. In March 2016, renowned human rights defender Berta Caceres was murdered for opposing this project in indigenous Lenca territory.
The banks’ announcement comes over a year after they had committed to a “responsible exit” in May 2016 and fails to acknowledge the role they and their client played in causing the conflict in the region.The third funder, the Central American Bank for Economic Integration (CABEI), remains invested in the project.
“What happens now should first and foremost address the impunity for the human rights violations in the region. Violence and threats are greater than ever and still no justice has been done for the brutal murder of Berta Caceres, the violent attacks in the community and the damages done to the communities' property. The situation for the communities around the Agua Zarca project remains precarious as long as this is not addressed”, said Anna van Ojik, policy advisor at Both ENDS.
“While we are relieved that FMO and FinnFund have finally ended the relationship with their client, DESA, CABEI’s continued financing means the project is still on life support,” said Kris Genovese, senior researcher at SOMO.
“Attacks on human rights defenders protesting development projects must end. While the damage is already done for the communities around the Agua Zarca project we expect that FMO will strengthen its human rights policy considerably to avoid similar disastrous outcomes in future projects”, said Danielle Hirsch of Both ENDS.
For more information:
Statement COPINH (Consejo Civico de Organizaciones Populares e Indigenas de Honduras’ a network of Honduran civil society organisations standing up for the rights of indigenous communities in the country)
Statement Green Alliance for Gender Action (GAGGA)
News items about the developments around Agua Zarca on Both ENDS' website
Or contact:
Anna van Ojik (Both ENDS): A.vanOjik@bothends.org / 0031 614669821
Kris Genovese (SOMO): K.Genovese@somo.nl / 0031 652773272
Read more about this subject
-
Dossier /
Agua Zarca: indigenous fight against dam costs lives
Indigenous Hondurans are resisting the construction of the Agua Zarca hydrodam. Their fight has cost several lives, including that of Berta Cáceres…
-
News / 7 February 2017
COPINH-leader: “Our communities are terrified”
Last week, Global Witness published 'Honduras: the deadliest place to defend the planet'. This shocking report clearly shows the worrying situation of…
-
News / 2 March 2017
A letter to Dutch minister one year after Berta Cáceres' murder
Today, it is exactly one year ago that Berta Cáceres was brutally murdered in her home in Honduras. Cáceres was a globally known human rights defender and coordinator of the indigenous Lenca organisation COPINH. The murder of Berta is closely related to her protest against the Agua Zarca…
-
News / 10 July 2020
Honduran NGOs call on FMO not to invest in controversial bank
Dutch development bank FMO is considering investing in the controversial Ficohsa bank in Honduras. The bank has close ties with the elite in Honduras, which holds considerable power in politics, the (para)military and the business community. Last Wednesday, a number of Honduran organisations, including the indigenous organisation COPINH – whose leader Berta Cáceres was murdered in 2016 – sent a letter to the FMO management. The letter…
-
News / 6 March 2018
Director of electricity company arrested in Berta Cáceres case
On Friday, March 2, the director of DESA, David Castillo, was arrested in Honduras on suspicion of involvement in the murder of Berta Cáceres, exactly 2 years ago. The Honduran government refused for a long time to not only detect the actual murderers, but also the intellectual authors of the murder…
-
News / 16 December 2019
Seven men sentenced to long prison terms for the murder of Berta Cáceres
Earlier this month, the seven men found guilty of the murder of Berta Cáceres were sentenced to jail for periods between 30 and 50 years. The court…
-
News / 2 March 2021
5 years after her murder, Berta Cáceres’ family is still waiting for justice
Today it is 5 years ago that Berta Cáceres was shot in haar home in La Esperanza, Honduras, for defending the rights of indigenous people. The leader of indigenous organisation COPINH resisted the Agua-Zarca hydropower dam that was planned to be build in indigenous territory. The actual…
-
News / 23 July 2021
Dutch development bank FMO's funding for Agua Zarca project possibly linked to malpractices
The million-dollar loan that the Dutch development bank FMO provided to project developers of Honduran company DESA for the construction of the controversial Agua Zarca dam project in Honduras, may be related to gross corruption and malpractice. This is concluded in an article published today in the Dutch news paper Financieel Dagblad, based on information provided by COPINH, the indigenous organisation that has been opposing the construction of the dam for years. Several members of the organisation, including its leader Berta Cáceres, were murdered. DESA director David…
-
External link / 31 May 2018
Agua Zarca debacle leads to policy changes at FMO (Annual Report 2017)
Sometimes things must go terribly wrong before big players start to move. In March 2016, Honduran activist Berta Cáceres was murdered because of her leading role in the protests against the Agua Zarca hydro dam, co-financed by the Dutch FMO. One and a half year later, FMO changed their…
-
News / 17 May 2018
Charge against Dutch FMO for complicity in human rights violations in Honduras
Today, three representatives of the Honduran indigenous people's organisation COPINH, together with the family of environmental activist Berta Cáceres, who was murdered in March 2016, announced that they are preparing to press charges against the Dutch development bank FMO. COPINH…
-
News / 20 October 2016
Laura Cáceres: “By continuing my mother’s fight, I continue the defense of life”
This week, Laura Zuniga Cáceres, daughter of Berta Cáceres*, visits the Netherlands. She will talk with the directors of the involved departments of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, participated in a colloquium about indigenous right of Leiden University and meet with several Dutch NGO's. Both…
-
Dossier /
Indigenous communities threatened by Barro Blanco dam in Panama
The Barro Blanco dam project in Panama, which has Dutch financial support, is causing indigenous lands to disappear under water. Both ENDS is…
-
Dossier /
Large-scale infrastructure
Large-scale infrastructural projects have detrimental effects on local people and the environment, while their benefits are felt elsewhere. Both ENDS is…
-
News / 23 December 2021
2022 is the year for FMO to make good on its promises and provide financial support only to sustainable development
2021 was a turbulent year for Dutch development bank FMO, to say the least. The bank has been under fire for many years for investments linked to human rights violations and suspected corruption. But in the past year, the Dutch press and media have reported on one new development after the…
-
Dossier /
Advocating for responsible policies of development banks
Development banks should comply with strict environmental and human rights rules to ensure that their projects benefit and do not harm the poorest…
-
News / 1 December 2018
7 suspects of the murder of the Honduran Berta Cáceres were found guilty
On Thursday, November 29, seven suspects of the murder of Berta Cáceres (in March 2016) were found guilty. Members of the indigenous human rights organisation COPINH, of which Cáceres was the leader, and close relatives of Cáceres herself see the ruling as the first step towards justice for her murder and the recognition that the company DESA is co-responsible for this. They also point out, however, that the process was permeated with…
-
News / 28 June 2022
In solidarity with daughter of murdered Indigenous leader
On Tuesday 28 June, the Honduran organisation COPINH and the Global Justice Association filed a complaint with the public prosecutor in the Netherlands against Dutch development bank FMO. For COPINH, this is part of their continued efforts to bring to justice those involved in the murder of their leader Berta Cáceres. FMO financed the Agua Zarca project in Honduras in 2014. The new complaint is based on documents indicating that…
-
News / 6 April 2017
Barro Blanco floodings: enormous damage
The closing of the Barro Blanco dam last year caused not only material but also cultural damage in the affected Ngäbe-Buglé communities in Panama…
-
Letter / 7 July 2020
Public letter to urge FMO not to provide a new loan to FICOHSA
A number of Honduran organisations sent a letter to the FMO management to call on FMO not to do business with Honduran bank FICOHSA. The bank has close ties with the elite in Honduras, which holds considerable power in politics, the (para)military and the business community.
-
Letter / 22 July 2024
Joint Call to Action: International Civil Society Demands Justice for Berta Cáceres' Murder Victims in Honduras
This is a joint call to action by international civil society organizations to call upon the Honduran authorities to ensure there is justice for the victims of the murder on Berta Caceres. Eight years and four months have passed since the crime against Berta and the Honduran justice system has not confirmed the sentences of those convicted and has not prosecuted the intellectual authors. We are extremely concerned that independent administration of justice and international agreements on human rights are not being upheld.